February/March 2013 Donations

Announcements from the Admins/Mods go here :)
Shrink908
Site Admin
Email Address: shrink908@ndos.net

February/March 2013 Donations

Unread postby Shrink908 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 pm

I've re-started the clock for donations.. Thanks in advance for those who help..
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Shrink908
Site Admin

Re: February/March 2013 Donations

Unread postby Shrink908 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Ok.. Here we are 7 days out from billing date and no donations so far.. So this is a bump..
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Penguin_lord
Pillar of the Haven
Email Address: Ranma0029@yahoo.com

Unread postby Penguin_lord » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Just sent $50 finally able to send money.

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Penguin_lord wrote:Just sent $50 finally able to send money.

Much appreciated :)
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Trahern
Pillar of the Haven
Beta?: NOOOooo...

Unread postby Trahern » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:11 am

Why does it cost $200 a month, anyway?

Love Robin
13th Muse
Beta?: Sure thang!!
Email Address: loverobin@aol.com

Unread postby Love Robin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:24 am

Trahern wrote:Why does it cost $200 a month, anyway?
Bandwidth and Speed.

It actually costs more, but his paying customers are holding the balance
Love Robin, 13th Muse: "It's a Gift…and a Curse"
AOL, DA, FF.N, & Everywhere
--
Love Robin @ fanfiction.net
Now serving: Gypsies, Vamps & Thieves: 2
Recently:
  • Every Kim Possible
  • Norway, Norhow
  • Bonnie the Vampire Slayer
  • Sisters of the Slayer: Horse of War
--
DON'T START HAVING YOUR SIBLING SEX IN FRONT OF PEOPLE!! It's contagious, you know!! (link NSFW)
-Comment: Shit's contagious, yo…

Trahern
Pillar of the Haven

Unread postby Trahern » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Yeah, maybe this would be a good link to share: http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=76767

twin-3
Beta?: Can do, worst at grammar

Unread postby twin-3 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:17 am

yeah, looks good.. just that, there's no such thing as free bandwidth and hosts that claims to give "unlimited traffic" always have.. hmm lessee.. there:

"Go Daddy expressly reserves the right to review every Account for excessive space and bandwidth utilization, and to terminate or apply additional fees to those Accounts that exceed allowed levels" A good oldfashioned rubberband condition in their TOS.

Basicly that means that any site drawing more trafficthan aunt olgas blog about her toenail fungus will find either a substantial bill in the mail at the end of the month or frequent service denials because of excessive bandwidth use.

I don't know how much bandwidth the haven uses, but I suspect we're above "reasonable use" as defined by flexible ruler like that.
FF.NET
It seems that I'm a Deviant too

"I guess you get a bit blasé about death when you hang with the Reaper." ~me

"It looks awesome; Lets kill it!" ~Ruby Rose

Hold it right there, slick. I don't do cakes, okay? I don't bake 'em, and I don't jump out of 'em... Well... except cupcake... I'd definitely do her!

Love Robin
13th Muse
Beta?: Sure thang!!
Email Address: loverobin@aol.com

Unread postby Love Robin » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:27 am

Not to mention, then Shrink *would not be providing services as The Server for his clients*. Why use Shrink's systems if GoDaddy will be doing all the heavy lifting.

In addition, with Shrink, we *know* there is no limitation on content. Many servers prohibit certain things which Shrink will not care about.
Love Robin, 13th Muse: "It's a Gift…and a Curse"
AOL, DA, FF.N, & Everywhere
--
Love Robin @ fanfiction.net
Now serving: Gypsies, Vamps & Thieves: 2
Recently:
  • Every Kim Possible
  • Norway, Norhow
  • Bonnie the Vampire Slayer
  • Sisters of the Slayer: Horse of War
--
DON'T START HAVING YOUR SIBLING SEX IN FRONT OF PEOPLE!! It's contagious, you know!! (link NSFW)
-Comment: Shit's contagious, yo…

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:26 pm

I actually did try moving the Haven to another host and had to yank it back.. They were blocking the ability to store certain words in the >SQL< let alone blocking content through the web directly.. It's not feasible with the site content to host it elsewhere.. I do have unlimited bandwidth here, but that's because of the cost of the service I have. Trying to get this site hosted elsewhere would be very problematic.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Trahern
Pillar of the Haven

Unread postby Trahern » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:01 am

Fair enough. I can't say I'd like the idea of having a personal server, running 24/7 in the house, hearing the hard drive react whenever anyone does anything, wondering when the constant use will overstrain something and finding out exactly what went wrong...

Ah, that's what it is. I wouldn't like the responsibility.

Edited to add: That said, $200+ a month still seems steep for access to 12MB of data. How much traffic does the site even get?

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:05 pm

This site is the most active on the server. The server itself sits in my office area so it doesn't make enough noise to bother me.. I'm also somewhat used to having machines whirring all the time since I've been doing this since BBS days (~1986).. I don't keep track of actual bandwidth as I don't need to, but I do have a weblog analyzer that shows hit stats and such.. (analytics if you're interested to see).. The $200 covers part of the internet bill (which is $175/month) and a portion of my electric (which hovers ~$200/month).. The rest of the internet bill and electric bill I cover myself between my pay and income from server customers.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

lextenou
Site Admin
Email Address: lextenou@gmail.com

Unread postby lextenou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:56 pm

The business case for keeping the bandwidth set as it is, when taking into account all factors, such as possible censorship and limitations enforced by third party companies, makes this not only the most economical, but also the best all around setup for the Haven.

A server itself hovers at around five grand for a midlevel one, not including the costs of hosting, and the exorbitant cost of 24/7 service. The fact that Shrink is not only able to provide the hardware, the know how to put it together, and the ability to maintain roughly four nines of uptime means that at 200 dollars a month, we're getting a steal. I've seen bills four to five times that for just part of the service that Shrink is providing to the Haven.

Many costs of hosting are offset by MSPs and colos offering portioned out hosting and administration. We have dedication.

Moving to a service like GoDaddy is a highly ill advised move for any legitimate business. Both as a host and a registrar, their performance record is subpar. A more appropriate analogy for the setup we currently have is Rackspace. For the level of service and the hardware we have, we'd have to pay over eight hundred dollars per month. We essentially have a dedicated, proactive support rep who is intimately familiar with our infrastructure, and able to provide the maximum uptime. The only benefit we would receive by moving to managed hosting would be having a team dedicated to watching our server, and possibly more regular hardware updates. However, since it would be a VM, the hardware upgrades would actually be to the hosting machine rather than to our current dedicated server. Also, we would lose the creative control and protection we currently have by having the hardware and hosting privately owned. Not enough can be said in favor of this, given the early history of the Haven.

From a business perspective, that is why I believe two hundred a month to be a downright bargain.

"We all need a few drinks to catch up to you when you're sober, Lex."

Eoraptor
Pillar of the Haven
Beta?: Maybe, but I go for the throat
Email Address: you can have my email address when you pry it from my cold, lifeless fingers!!!

Unread postby Eoraptor » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:19 pm

damnit, if only one of my lottery tickets wold pay off all this could be solved.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor
Howard Tayler wrote:Never forget... when a social media site is free (Facebook), you're not the customer, you're the product

SickandWrong wrote:...like High Definition for fanfics.

AmericanGecko
Pillar of the Haven
Email Address: gecko4891718@yahoo.com

Unread postby AmericanGecko » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:14 pm

I know I'm a usual donator, Shrink, but I just can't afford it this month. :( A couple of big bills come due in a week or so, and I just don't have the extra this time.

But I promise to tack on something extra to next month's donation to make up for it.
A.G.
The Patriotic Reptile

:KP: FF.net :ron: Art Blog :rufus: DeviantArt

:idea: "The greatest challenge of any artist is to be your own harshest critic while simultaneously being your own biggest fan." - Anonymous
:idea: "Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, then drink in the moments that have the power to take your breath away."
:idea: "All the world's a stage...so follow your own script instead of letting someone else write it for you"
:idea: "If you waste all your money on crap and things that don't matter, what do you have to show for it in the end?"

Return to “Announcements”