Official Warning! - We're moving.

Announcements from the Admins/Mods go here :)
Shrink908
Site Admin
Email Address: shrink908@ndos.net

Official Warning! - We're moving.

Unread postby Shrink908 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:43 am

Ok.. Here's your warning.. >Probably< this weekend we will be moving household, including the server equipment. This may result in a day or 3 of downtime, I'm not sure yet. If the cable wire is already connected at the new house then as soon as I plug the equipment in it will just come up and work, which is what I'm hoping for. However, if it's not then we'll have to wait for Comcast to come out and connect us. I will be putting a service request into Comcast for them to do this as soon as I'm 100% sure of the move date(s).

Reason behind move: My landlady is trying to sell the house I've been renting for nearly 4 years and has recently decided that parading people through any old time she pleases, even if I'm not home, is fine. Due to my equipment being rather expensive I've decided this is a VERY bad idea. As such I started seeking a new place for us to live. My boss, being the generous guy he is, said he'd help with deposit/down payment/etc to get us moved. So in my search I got VERY lucky and happened upon a rent-to-own home in a fairly nice area that with a little extra boost in income I can afford. Things will still be tight financially (as in I'll still be asking for donations to help cover internet costs) but at least we won't have to worry about people damaging the server or other stuff while wandering through the house unattended.

So overall 1) Think happy thoughts for us as we move to a permanent home and 2) please be patient with any downtime that we may encounter while moving.

Thank you for your continued support and commitment to this site. It's been an interesting 8 years hosting it for you all.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

twin-3
Beta?: Can do, worst at grammar

Re: Official Warning! - We're moving.

Unread postby twin-3 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 am

i'd offer to pop up a virtual machine for you to use as temporary host, but suspect you'll be a tad too busy packing for the next bit.
FF.NET
It seems that I'm a Deviant too

"I guess you get a bit blasé about death when you hang with the Reaper." ~me

"It looks awesome; Lets kill it!" ~Ruby Rose

Hold it right there, slick. I don't do cakes, okay? I don't bake 'em, and I don't jump out of 'em... Well... except cupcake... I'd definitely do her!

Ffordesoon
Pillar of the Haven
Beta?: Hands full at the moment.
Email Address: ffordesoon@gmail.com

Unread postby Ffordesoon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:32 pm

Take every precaution not to damage the servers, Shrink. I don't want to lose any posts or whatevs.

Not to sound selfish, or anything. :P
I live in the weeds.

kgs_wy

Unread postby kgs_wy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Good luck on the move and finding nice, stable Internet ready to go when ya get there, Shrink!

twin-3 wrote:i'd offer to pop up a virtual machine for you to use as temporary host, but suspect you'll be a tad too busy packing for the next bit.

Plus, that would likely take longer for some of us to see the 'new' virtual site as it propagates across the webs, only to find it's down and have to wait for the new 'real' site to propagate through the webs. Only mentioning this 'cause I've dealt with it on other forums... It's actually one of the reasons I loathe living in WHYoming... :sweat: -_- Either way, it means a likely delay in my posting the next chapters of my "Surprise" challenge thread fic, A Kimvisible Sitch! and my Do As I Say challenge thread fic, Do as I Say! :? Hope not, though!

-Laters...!
kgs-wy
"I guess I still can't comprehend the depths of some people's stupidity..." - Me

[12:42] <Yumi-chan> people get dumber in proportion to the amount of money involved

twin-3

Unread postby twin-3 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:48 pm

that depends if we're talking hours or days on the move (and service). but yeah dns propragation can be funny. last time I set up two dns records pointing at the same local to me ip, one (.com) was worldwide within an hour while the other (.net) took most of a day.
FF.NET

Hold it right there, slick. I don't do cakes, okay? I don't bake 'em, and I don't jump out of 'em... Well... except cupcake... I'd definitely do her!

kgs_wy

Unread postby kgs_wy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:13 pm

twin-3 wrote:that depends if we're talking hours or days on the move (and service). but yeah dns propragation can be funny. last time I set up two dns records pointing at the same local to me ip, one (.com) was worldwide within an hour while the other (.net) took most of a day.

I've seen it take upwards of nine days, it all depends on the service... Considering Shrink runs the server out of his own house and doesn't go through a general website host, it'll probably be faster than that, but one never knows...

-Laters...!
kgs-wy
"I guess I still can't comprehend the depths of some people's stupidity..." - Me

[12:42] <Yumi-chan> people get dumber in proportion to the amount of money involved

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Most likely it'll only be a day at most.. I'm going to be contacting Comcast tomorrow to schedule them for hopefully Monday to get the cable over there lined out.. I'm just hoping there's no delays in the actual move. The guy says it >should< be ready for me to actually move on Friday, but I can't get help till the weekend and if it's not ready by the weekend I'll then have to wait for the >next< weekend... So I'll keep people updated.. As for worries about losing data, I'm not concerned.. The machine has been moved before on >much< older hardware without losing data.. This system is relatively new and should move easily..
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:40 am

Just as an update. We've begun moving small items to the new house and will be doing the main push this weekend. Comcast is supposed to have gone out to check the connection to the house for us by end of business today, so we should only experience very brief downtime of a few hours either Saturday or Sunday, whichever day I get the server hardware and such moved over there. Not sure which yet, so if we go dark it's just the move, no disaster. But be advised, if Comcast doesn't do their job it could be a day or so before we come back up. I'm hoping it won't be a problem, but you never know.. Wish us luck!
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Eoraptor
Pillar of the Haven
Beta?: Maybe, but I go for the throat
Email Address: you can have my email address when you pry it from my cold, lifeless fingers!!!

Unread postby Eoraptor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:06 am

if I were close enough, i'd lend my back and hands, shrink, or at least money for beer.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor
Howard Tayler wrote:Never forget... when a social media site is free (Facebook), you're not the customer, you're the product

SickandWrong wrote:...like High Definition for fanfics.

twin-3

Unread postby twin-3 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:50 pm

If i were close enough i'm make sure to come up with the best excuse ever for not participating in actual manual labor!!
Anyways, hope it all goes smoothly and that you manage to get other people to carry the heavy stuff!
FF.NET

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:28 am

Eoraptor wrote:if I were close enough, i'd lend my back and hands, shrink, or at least money for beer.

I appreciate the thought..
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:29 am

twin-3 wrote:If i were close enough i'm make sure to come up with the best excuse ever for not participating in actual manual labor!!
Anyways, hope it all goes smoothly and that you manage to get other people to carry the heavy stuff!

hehe.. I do have help.. My friend Charlie is on his way here now and Mouserr lives here now so it should go smoothly..
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:29 am

For those who read this before we go offline.. We are doing the move today (16th) so we'll be offline a few hours or at most a couple days... See a on the flip side!
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

twin-3

Unread postby twin-3 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:53 am

Don't work too hard!!!
FF.NET

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:04 pm

twin-3 wrote:Don't work too hard!!!

I can't work too hard.. My lungs won't let me.. Been sick for a few months now.. Starting to think it's walking pneumonia... Fortunately people are doing the heavy lifting for me.. We're in the midst of loading furniture and stuff now so server will be down soonish.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Return to “Announcements”