KP Slash Haven EAS

Announcements from the Admins/Mods go here :)
Love Robin
13th Muse
Beta?: Sure thang!!
Email Address: loverobin@aol.com

KP Slash Haven EAS

Unread postby Love Robin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:28 pm

That's Email Announcement Service

In response to the occasional need to disseminate infomation about the State of the Haven when the board goes down for one of the various reasons internet sites are plagued with, Your Friendly KP Neighborhood Admins have established a KP Slash Haven Listserv. It's set up with an unrelated service so that hopefully it will not be affected by whatever the Haven might be suffering. For example if the KSH server is struck with a virus, or weather/power outages, by being based on an unrelated service the KSH-listserv will still be viable.

The FreeLists mailing list is currently ready for use. Please set your spam filters to accept email from freelist.org. So that you may easily recognize the email, the subject lines will always start with [KP Slash Haven]. It is set up as a newsletter/announcements-only server. Do not attempt to reply to any email from this service

IF You Wish to Recieve Email in the Event of Haven Emergencies…

You must subscribe yourself by sending email to kpslashhaven-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field

-OR-

By going to the following website http://www.freelists.org/list/kpslashhaven to enter your email address. Just ensure the option in the drop-down box reads as 'subscribe'.

Take Notice, In the Event You Wish to Pause Notifications, Resume Notifications, or UNSUBSCRIBE, you may use the same webpage to do so.

If you have any problems or do not receive an Email acknowledging your subscription to the listserv (after checking your spam filter), you may contact Love Robin with the problem. Be sure to provide your email address.
Love Robin, 13th Muse: "It's a Gift…and a Curse"
AOL, DA, FF.N, & Everywhere
--
Love Robin @ fanfiction.net
Now serving: Gypsies, Vamps & Thieves: 2
Recently:
  • Every Kim Possible
  • Norway, Norhow
  • Bonnie the Vampire Slayer
  • Sisters of the Slayer: Horse of War
--
DON'T START HAVING YOUR SIBLING SEX IN FRONT OF PEOPLE!! It's contagious, you know!! (link NSFW)
-Comment: Shit's contagious, yo…

Ffordesoon
Pillar of the Haven
Beta?: Hands full at the moment.
Email Address: ffordesoon@gmail.com

Re: KP Slash Haven EAS

Unread postby Ffordesoon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Ah. Helpful indeed.
I live in the weeds.

Love Robin
13th Muse

Unread postby Love Robin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:04 am

Please Keep in mind, the main purpose of subscribing to this listserv is to be able to ecieve information in the event the Haven suffer significant downtime. So if you have not yet done so and wish to recieve such alerts, *you* have to sign up.
--
Recently:
  • Every Kim Possible
  • Norway, Norhow
--
DON'T START HAVING YOUR SIBLING SEX IN FRONT OF PEOPLE!! It's contagious, you know!! (link NSFW)

Love Robin
13th Muse

Unread postby Love Robin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:30 am

If you had no idea of what was going on the past 24 hours or so... subscribe to the Alert System!!
--
Recently:
  • Every Kim Possible
  • Norway, Norhow
--

Eoraptor
Pillar of the Haven
Beta?: Maybe, but I go for the throat
Email Address: you can have my email address when you pry it from my cold, lifeless fingers!!!

Unread postby Eoraptor » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:31 am

someone should have posted on the EAS that the IRC chat was up during most of that time
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor
Howard Tayler wrote:Never forget... when a social media site is free (Facebook), you're not the customer, you're the product

SickandWrong wrote:...like High Definition for fanfics.

Love Robin
13th Muse

Unread postby Love Robin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:42 am

Eoraptor wrote:someone should have posted on the EAS that the IRC chat was up during most of that time
Wish I had realized that!

Currently only the Admins can post EAS messages. Which Admins are active on Chat, as I'm not?

Otherwise, y'all can feel free to send me messages for EAS consideration, something like this would certainly have qualified (with link info)
--
Recently:
  • Every Kim Possible
  • Norway, Norhow
--

lextenou
Site Admin
Email Address: lextenou@gmail.com

Unread postby lextenou » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:54 am

I am.

I can also get email, get on messengers and get on IRC from my Blackberry. If I am alerted that I need to be present online for something, I will be present no matter where I am physically.

I emailed you today, LR.

"We all need a few drinks to catch up to you when you're sober, Lex."

Love Robin
13th Muse

Unread postby Love Robin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:10 am

I got your email. Didn't see the need to respond at the moment. I was striving to contact the server master. It turns out the initial 404 Error downtime yesterday was due to a need to perform a harddrive replacement. The General Error after had to due with something about file pointers not quite alined to the new partionings.

That's all been fixed for now.
--
Recently:
  • Every Kim Possible
  • Norway, Norhow
--

RedBlueGreen
Email Address: shorelywall@hotmail.co.uk

Unread postby RedBlueGreen » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:50 am

All glory to the Admins! Good work on fixing it so fast.

Triaxx

Unread postby Triaxx » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:55 am

Nah, glory all goes to the server dude. We just pray that nothing goes wrong.

Good to know the EAS works as intended though.

Shrink908
Site Admin
Email Address: shrink908@ndos.net

Unread postby Shrink908 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:06 pm

Downtime information..

First off, I'm sorry I didn't get to notify you in advance but I only had brief warning myself and was in Arkansas with no real internet access, I'll post more on that too..

The HDD on the server was showing SMART failures related to bad sectors. So the friend of ours who runs things got it replaced and all.. That's why it was down. All should be well now.

As far as my being unable to warn in advance, let me tell you a story.

We left for Arkansas on Tuesday the 16th at around midnight (going into Wednesday), planning to be home Wednesday or at latest Friday... So much for plans! We drove up in our van with some of our stuff to drop off. We enjoyed the trip, it was Rei's and my first road trip together as a couple. My student loan dispersement was sent on Tuesday, so we expected it to be there on Wednesday, wrong. We get most of the way there and discover we have about $20 left for food/gas. So we manage to get there, get the keys and see the house. It's a small house, about 1100 SqFt. 2 Bedrooms, 1 bath, awesome back yard.. So we're happy with that.. We unload our crap, setup a place to sleep in one of the bedrooms and nap for a bit. Later on, some new friends we met online from the area called us and came over and when we told them about the money sitch they bought us some food so we'd not go hungry while we waited for the money to come in, they are awesome people! So now we've got food, but no money to do anything we need to do.. So we borrowed a measuring tape from said friends, took time to draw floor plans and take measurements so we could plan out our furniture placement and the like, good use of time.. We also unloaded our canoe and some other stuff. We found the local library so I could do my job via internet, but wasn't able to do much else from there. During this visit to the Library, which was Thursday, we find out the money has finally deposited. So we pick up new locks for the place, etc.. We call my friend who owns the place to tell her that her son and daughter in law had said a few weird things (like they were taking the refrigerator, etc) and left a DISASTER in the interior (screws on the floor, etc).. Looked like they'd had a friend or two camping in there that had to leave FAST cause we were coming. So she tells me her husband is coming up there that day and to please wait to meet with him while he's there. So we do that, but he gets in late and schedules for Friday so we end up staying an extra night (yet another) and meet with him Friday, he's a great guy, tells us to ignore the son/daughter in law. He also thinks they had friends living there, so it seems that he doesn't fully trust them. So all is well, the house feels like "home".. We leave some of our stuff there and head out Friday afternoon for Texas. We get about 1/2 way back to Texas and the van starts vibrating when you accelerate and I'm like "oh shit!".. But we're too far to turn back, so I forge onwards.. We make it to about 150 miles from home and it dies in Corsicana, TX.. So. We're fucking about with it in a waffle house parking lot and a guy asks if we need help, gives us a little help and tells us that if it still doesn't work that this motel across the street has good rates for the night. Well, it's still screwing off, so we stay the night.. We get up Saturday morning and it's POURING, like wind and rain from hell.. Just more fun to add to a day that we knew was gonna be bad to begin with. We go to drive the vehicle over to the office to drop off keys and partake of breakfast and then find a repair shop open on Saturday (good luck).. But the van intervenes again.. Power steering is working when I first start to drive.. Outright TOTALLY fails on the way to the office.. I said fuck it and called Laura (my ex-wife) to retrieve us, planning to abandon the van and figure something else out. So the manager sees Rei is depressed and asks what's up, so we tell him the story and he's like "oh my god... But I may have help, my wife has a car for sale..." so I negotiated it down to about $1200 for a 1999 Mercury Tracer LS that has a recently rebuilt engine and is in good shape. She came with the name "Spunky" and lives up to it. Now, said manager has only been there 2 weeks.. So we talk about how the place looks rundown and he starts telling me about renovations they're going to be doing and all.. So we tell him we do computers, networking, phone systems, websites, etc.. So he tells me once we're moved and settled to call them and come back down.. They'll give us free room while we evaluate their networking and work out what it's going to take to get wireless to every room and all the other stuff to go with it and that they would love to talk to Rei about designing their website. So it looks like we'll make some money off them in the future doing that. So, we finally move *most* of our stuff from the van to the Tracer, the rest stays there till we retrieve it in two weeks. After that they're going to have the van towed off and junked. While this is a good thing over all, it puts us in a bad spot financially cause we needed that money to move. So now the move is going to be MUCH tighter and all our buffer is gone in replacing the van. At least we made it home.. Now we have 9 days in which to finish packing, 2 to load the truck, and then driving back to Little Rock with all our shit. Might have to come back into the Houston area to pick up my mother to take her up there as a separate trip though. So this was a bit of an "adventure"... Sheesh.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Triaxx

Unread postby Triaxx » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:04 am

*scratches Shrink off list of people to road trip with* :D Kidding, sounds like fun. No, really. If your car doesn't catch fire, there's no point in going.

I hope Murphy has finished having his way with you. But it's better to get all the bad luck out of the way first. Makes the rest of it easier.

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Triaxx wrote:*scratches Shrink off list of people to road trip with* :D Kidding, sounds like fun. No, really. If your car doesn't catch fire, there's no point in going.

I hope Murphy has finished having his way with you. But it's better to get all the bad luck out of the way first. Makes the rest of it easier.

Usually my road trips go off quite well.. I'm an experienced road warrior.. This was just one of those "the vehicle is old, what the hell do you expect from it?" type deals.. But I agree, I hope Murphy is done for a bit.. I need a break..
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

OsterPenPen
Imperial Secret Police
Beta?: Spelling & Grammar

Unread postby OsterPenPen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:11 am

Sounds like my moving experience... we got everything loaded into our '97 Plymouth Voyager, then heard the click-click-click of a dead solenoid in the starter. Oops. With any luck, this is your one catastrophe for the move.
Wisdom is not knowing everything. It is knowing you do not know everything and being smart enough not to do things that are really stupid.

Support Your Local Penguin

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:09 pm

OstermanA wrote:Sounds like my moving experience... we got everything loaded into our '97 Plymouth Voyager, then heard the click-click-click of a dead solenoid in the starter. Oops. With any luck, this is your one catastrophe for the move.

Oddly, this was a 1991 Dodge Grand Caravan, close cousin to your Voyager.. And our starter was starting to have problems too.. We *think* the problem with the vibration was a broken CV joint based on what a mechanic friend tells me.. But to get it towed here to work on it and get it fixed would be more costly than the van is worth, sadly.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Return to “Announcements”