Holy shit...

Announcements from the Admins/Mods go here :)
Shrink908
Site Admin
Email Address: shrink908@ndos.net

Re: Holy shit...

Unread postby Shrink908 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:39 pm

Well, talked to Seagate about the dead drive from them today.. They say that if I pay $19.95 they'll rush me out a brand new one as well as cover the return shipping.. and apologized for it being DOA... I wish WD was as friendly about these problems... So I'll do that when I have the $20 to cover it. Meantime things are working well with the hardware that is working properly. Though we are now back down to only the two 500GB drives as the server's power supply was unhappy with trying to support the other 1TB drive.. Going to have to replace the power supply or do what I really >want< to do for safety and get a SATA NAS bay for the extra drives (Can get a 2 bay with gigabit ethernet NAS bay from D-Link via Tiger for $130)... So that's where we sit on this one right now.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:48 pm

And here's an odd update.. I just stuffed that "dead" seagate 1TB drive in my machine and my machine recognizes it and I'm formatting it now to see how it does (I'll post an update about that when it finishes)... If it works ok then it's a matter of the mainboard being too old to support a 1TB SATA drive or the power supply in the machine is too strained (it's pretty old) to handle the extra hard disk. Either way, I think an SATA based NAS bay is what I'll be trying to get.. I can get a 2 bay Promise SATA NAS bay with gigabit networking for $169.99 (seems the D-Link one I was looking at for $129 is no longer available anywhere, how odd) from Fry's website.. They may have more options in-store, so I'll be looking into that next time I make it to Houston... But I'm thinking the server is gonna need a new power supply sooner than I'd like.. *sigh*.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Triaxx

Unread postby Triaxx » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:11 am

While I hesitate to suggest such a measure given the instability of Servers in general, have you sought out a BIOS update? It might exist to update the Mobo...

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:40 am

Triaxx wrote:While I hesitate to suggest such a measure given the instability of Servers in general, have you sought out a BIOS update? It might exist to update the Mobo...

This is a somewhat old mainboard.. Asus A8N-VM CSM with an Athlon64 3500+ on it.. The most recent BIOS updated for it is January 2007, so updating it is not happening. There's some problems with using hardware RAID on the board also.. I'd say overall it'd be safer to put the TB drives in an external SATA NAS bay to avoid problems.. I'm likely to look into building a new server at some point so I can put this one to secondary duties just due to it's age. I wasn't aware that it wouldn't do TB drives until just yesterday (19th).
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Eoraptor
Pillar of the Haven
Beta?: Maybe, but I go for the throat
Email Address: you can have my email address when you pry it from my cold, lifeless fingers!!!

Unread postby Eoraptor » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:06 am

yeah, that's old :P

my desktop downstairs is still an Nforce 2 shuttle board running a 2300+ overclocked to 2800+ :P let he who is without 64 bits cast the first stone... which is me :P

but yeah, I remember hearing those boards have RAID problems.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor
Howard Tayler wrote:Never forget... when a social media site is free (Facebook), you're not the customer, you're the product

SickandWrong wrote:...like High Definition for fanfics.

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:32 pm

Eoraptor wrote:yeah, that's old :P

my desktop downstairs is still an Nforce 2 shuttle board running a 2300+ overclocked to 2800+ :P let he who is without 64 bits cast the first stone... which is me :P

but yeah, I remember hearing those boards have RAID problems.

Works for everything else though.. <shrug>
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Triaxx

Unread postby Triaxx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:06 am

Hey, as long as it works, I'm not going to poke it with a stick. Perhaps when the time comes we'll be able to pool our resources and get a nice PS3 processor powered Server with 2TB Raid drives.

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:58 am

Triaxx wrote:Hey, as long as it works, I'm not going to poke it with a stick. Perhaps when the time comes we'll be able to pool our resources and get a nice PS3 processor powered Server with 2TB Raid drives.

PS3? I'm sticking with AMD processors for all my computing needs.. They work very well.. the server is an Athlon64 3500+ and my machine machine is an Athlon64 x2 6000+....
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Triaxx

Unread postby Triaxx » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:24 am

It's been quoted as nine or so cores on one chip. So much as I like AMD, this might be the best thing to show up in a long time.

Marco

Unread postby Marco » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:39 am

Yes, since many cores is the new megahertz and we all must have it no matter whether it does us any good.
The obnoxious ass formerly known as Kokuyo

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Triaxx wrote:It's been quoted as nine or so cores on one chip. So much as I like AMD, this might be the best thing to show up in a long time.

Multi-Core is only helpful in a multi-threaded environment. Which most software still isn't able to make good use of cause it was written single-threaded. Not to mention there is a limit to how much bandwidth a single chip socket can handle. I'd personally rather have a mainboard with a dual-opteron config at 2-4 cores each than something with 9 cores.. That way the bandwidth spread is better between the sockets and you get better utilization.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:39 pm

Kokuyo wrote:Yes, since many cores is the new megahertz and we all must have it no matter whether it does us any good.

This is why I'm happy with my dual core at 3ghz.. I can actually see the machine making use of both cores independently when I run multiple pieces of software but when I am running older single-threaded apps or games I'm still getting enough speed to really run them... My AMD64 6000+ is damned nice for my purposes.. I had a choice of it or a Phenom quad core that ran at 2.2ghz at the time.. I figure this was a better choice for my needs.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Marco

Unread postby Marco » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:28 am

Yeah, I got a Core2Duo... It's basically enough for everything I do.

What I'd look for in a power machine is memory and the bandwidth with which said memory can be accessed. I like to have lots o' cache on the CPU, on the harddisk, heck I'd put it into the PU if I thought it'd do any good. Megahertz and cores are nice to have but no true indicator of processing power.

Triaxx

Unread postby Triaxx » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:46 pm

Yeah, but if you take the processor away from it, the things going for the PS3 slip into the negative numbers. :p

I like it for games that have a single thread mind set. Because I can make Windows run it's processes off one core, and have the full power of the remaining core dedicated to the game.

Marco

Unread postby Marco » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:53 pm

So what do you do with cores 3 through 9? Keeping in mind that one Cell is by far not as powerful as about any of the average CPUs on the market. The Cell is good at being stacked, so to speak. So you need applications that are threaded. Physics calculations come to mind. But the CPU is also the reason why coding for the PS3 is such a bitch. And you can't have bitchy architectures on an all-purpose PC.

On a webserver, though, you might actually profit, come to think of it.

Return to “Announcements”