Holy shit...

Announcements from the Admins/Mods go here :)
JayJay
Pillar of the Haven
Beta?: Willing to lend a hand.

Re: Holy shit...

Unread postby JayJay » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:30 pm

Shrink, you are indeed a miracle worker, you not only had a back-up, but a back-up for the back-up. Take your time getting the site back up to 100%, I'm just glad we still have one another. ;)

"We are gathered on this day to remember the recently deceased. [Shego] and [Betty] were simple bots who did not ask for much, but were always willing to give. Aside from the occasional F-bomb, they were rather enjoyable and fun to be around. Their antics in the chatroom will be sorely missed. Let us now pause for a moment of silence as we remember these to great bots and the better place to which they have gone... well, [Betty] anyway, I am not so sure about [Shego]. *Moment of silence.* And we pray, Amen."

Shinigami
Email Address: stephie.roth@gmail.com

Unread postby Shinigami » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:53 pm

Ah, well the would explain the... er... rather pretty shade of blue. And I'm with everyone else, kudos to you Shrink, you're better than a boy scout :D
Remember kids cats plus water equals DEATH, 42 realy is the answer to life, meaning, and exsistance, yellow means go faster, and someday I will own your soul so dont get it dirty... those things are hell to dry-clean

Shrink908
Site Admin
Email Address: shrink908@ndos.net

Unread postby Shrink908 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:12 pm

SickAndWrong wrote:Well, I mourn the quick reply box. :P But that's cuz I'm a lazy SOB. :lol:

Yes, kudos for the miraculous turnaround.

Effing A, that drive died fast as all hell. Under warranty then, I assume?

Yeah.. It went down faster than a 2 dollar whore... Sad, ain't it? Go Western Digital... and yes, under warranty... Soon as I can afford to ship it back to WD I'll be getting a replacement. Not sure I'll ever want to trust it with the server again though.

Techincal Question:
If the drive that failed had been on a RAID1 mirrored array, there theoretically would have been zero data loss, correct?

What would be the noticeable user-end impact of such an array between two 1TB drives?

Yes, it would've prevented all loss because I could've just told it to un-RAID the drives and moved the backup to the primary position and moved on.. But at the time that drive was donated they were still $250/drive.. Tiger Direct has A few drives.. Seagate 1TB drives are $139 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3346290&CatId=139 , but that's the name I trust the most. They also have a Hitachi that's $129.99 and then $99.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3333210&CatId=139 after a mail in rebate that ends the 31st.. I wish we could manage to get two identical drives so that they match. If people want to donate enough to accomplish that, then we can go that way and RAID the things. The controller in that machine >does< support RAID, so it's not at all hard to do. There would be no noticable difference in speed of operation due to the hardware RAID.

Non-Technical Question:
It's been a minute since I can recall making a donation. If you would like, O Keeper of the Server, when the failed drive is replaced, I could chip in enough to get a second drive, for the purposes of building said array.

You know, assuming that is what you'd want to do. My un-tech-savvy ass doesn't see a problem with that setup, but seeing as how I'm not the one putting it together and maintaining it...

Tell you what. You guys let me know, and if you think it would be a good thing, I'll do it.

To donate to us you PayPal to: shrink908@ndos.net

I will be putting the donation mod back on the site later if you want to wait for that to reappear. Probably do some of that today..
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:16 pm

sPs wrote:Wow, I'm just glad you're on the ball, and my condolences on the code trolling that you're looking at. Kudos for getting the drive back up and running as quickly as you have.

huh, mechanical drive failure after three months? Was it enterprise grade or one of those 10,000rpm drives? I heard enterprise is supposed to last significantly longer, and that the faster drives burn out more quickly, simply because of the speeds they achieve.

This drive is this: WD WD10EACS 1TB SATA2/300 drive. It's a 7200 RPM "Green Power" drive...
You can see the info on the drive here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3976118&CatId=139
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Rei found a green/orange theme.. So if you want to try it go to the user control panel and then "Board Preferences" and select "Green Getaway" in the drop down for the "My Board Style". We will likely be using this theme as the basis for the repairs to the rest of the site so it will eventually become the "required" theme...
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Triaxx

Unread postby Triaxx » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Always pay for quality. Always pay for Seagate. I sound like an advertisement, but I've got a 10GB that still runs just fine.

sPs
Email Address: sweetpixiesmile@gmail.com

Unread postby sPs » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Unfortunately WD used to be good, but that was like 15 years ago.

Seagate bought Maxtor; Maxtor is now being positioned as the discount brand of Seagate.

Old drives tend to have better life expectancy because the tolerances are higher and are less prone to catastrophic mechanical failure due to lower RPMs. Their access speeds suck, but they take a real beating.

And now they have enterprise grade versus regular consumer grade. Enterprise drives are reportedly held to higher standards; rumours are everything else is typically a failed enterprise.

As much as I love Tigerdirect, they're well known (at least in Canada) for selling greyware (damaged crates, overruns, questionable QA, etc.) But well TD.com's Seagate Enterprise drive:
Seagate Barracuda ES.2 1TB Hard Drive - 7200, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM
------------------------------------------------------------------

"Silence! Your kung fu is shit! Your Sifu knows nothing! Mwahahahahahaha!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Yep.. WD used to be good years ago.. Now.. forget it.. Seagate has been reliable since my very first (A 20MB SCSI unit hooked up in a Lt. Kernal housing for a Commodore 128...), so I tend to trust them.

In other news, I added a 250GB drive to the server to temporarily replace the 1TB drive.. It's a Maxtor SATA (first generation SATA) and it seems happy to be there..

As for that enterprise level HDD.. I wish we could afford a pair of those.. *sigh*... With Bluebonnet possibly going to be out of work...
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Triaxx

Unread postby Triaxx » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:25 pm

http://3btech.net/rese757216bu.html

A slightly smaller, but significantly cheaper.

Not knowing a particular lot about Servers, other than that they are computers, is there an advantage to having that 250 run the OS and having data storage on other drives? Surely the OS would benefit having it's own data channel even if it's slower. Or am I crazy?

Eoraptor
Pillar of the Haven
Beta?: Maybe, but I go for the throat
Email Address: you can have my email address when you pry it from my cold, lifeless fingers!!!

Unread postby Eoraptor » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Shrink908 wrote:Rei found a green/orange theme.. So if you want to try it go to the user control panel and then "Board Preferences" and select "Green Getaway" in the drop down for the "My Board Style". We will likely be using this theme as the basis for the repairs to the rest of the site so it will eventually become the "required" theme...
One thing I noticed about GG skin... It doesn't seem to have a spot for the banners... I noticed when I tried to click in that area to go back to the index... probably an easy fix... but figured I should point this out.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor
Howard Tayler wrote:Never forget... when a social media site is free (Facebook), you're not the customer, you're the product

SickandWrong wrote:...like High Definition for fanfics.

SickAndWrong
Location: Looking for a nice girl with a rap sheet and a prescription.

Unread postby SickAndWrong » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:29 am

Really? I have never had a problem with a WD drive. In fact, the one I just tossed into my Toshiba is a WD, and I've never been happier with a drive...

How's this Seagate look to you? Non-Enterprise Drive

If that would be an acceptable drive, I'll tell you what. at $129 each, I'll have a pair sent to your place, so you can RAID two identical drives together, if you would simply agree that once you get the new WD back you'll send it my way. It would look nice in my desktop at home. :D

Fair trade?

If so, you can PM me shipping details.
_

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:26 pm

Triaxx wrote:http://3btech.net/rese757216bu.html

A slightly smaller, but significantly cheaper.

Not knowing a particular lot about Servers, other than that they are computers, is there an advantage to having that 250 run the OS and having data storage on other drives? Surely the OS would benefit having it's own data channel even if it's slower. Or am I crazy?

Those drives are good drives... They're the same as the Seagate 1TB drives electronically and most of the mechanical, just a difference in storage size.

The OS is on it's own data channel.. Right now the config is:

Drive 0: 250GB EIDE/PATA
Partitions:
0: Windows 2003 R2 x64 Enterprise
1: SQL and Email Data Storage[/list]
Drive 1: 250GB SATA
Partitions:
0: Web and FTP storage

The previous config was the same except for it being a 1000GB SATA drive in the 2nd position.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:27 pm

Eoraptor wrote:
Shrink908 wrote:Rei found a green/orange theme.. So if you want to try it go to the user control panel and then "Board Preferences" and select "Green Getaway" in the drop down for the "My Board Style". We will likely be using this theme as the basis for the repairs to the rest of the site so it will eventually become the "required" theme...
One thing I noticed about GG skin... It doesn't seem to have a spot for the banners... I noticed when I tried to click in that area to go back to the index... probably an easy fix... but figured I should point this out.

I did notice this.. Right now we're trying to figure out what theme we're going to put in place as the permanent one and then I'll be doing the mods. We had multiple themes before, but I want to limit it this time. Every theme has to be modified for EACH mod seperately, so it gets time consuming with multiple themes.. So I'm delaying the implementation of mods till then.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:30 pm

SickAndWrong wrote:Really? I have never had a problem with a WD drive. In fact, the one I just tossed into my Toshiba is a WD, and I've never been happier with a drive...

How's this Seagate look to you? Non-Enterprise Drive

If that would be an acceptable drive, I'll tell you what. at $129 each, I'll have a pair sent to your place, so you can RAID two identical drives together, if you would simply agree that once you get the new WD back you'll send it my way. It would look nice in my desktop at home. :D

Fair trade?

If so, you can PM me shipping details.

Those drives are what I was looking to order. And once I get the WD back I can work out sending it to you..
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Triaxx

Unread postby Triaxx » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:15 pm

Don't worry about the themes, I can fix those to look right, it just takes a while because I'm not used to doing everything in Hex. I can even install the mods, it just takes a few tries to get it right. It takes patience and I have very little.

Return to “Announcements”