Issues...

Announcements from the Admins/Mods go here :)
Shrink908
Site Admin
Email Address: shrink908@ndos.net

Issues...

Unread postby Shrink908 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Just a word of warning.. My family has recently had a bunch of issues.. One our car died, and the one we bought to replace it died before I got it home! So we're out a car >and< $900.. Then we had a power failure that destroyed my work computer somehow (I think the CPU fried).. So things for us financially are screwed.. Not sure how much longer we're going to be able to keep the server up at this rate.. It costs us about $80/month to run this thing.. So if you all want to help with any of these issues it'd make it easier for us to keep running for you.

Glenn
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Triaxx

Re: Issues...

Unread postby Triaxx » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:54 pm

What kind of CPU have? Perhaps someone here has a spare replacement? I can't help with the car issue though.

hunterrose90210
Email Address: hunterrose90210@yahoo.com

Unread postby hunterrose90210 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:56 pm

Tossed my coins in the till.

Shrink take a breath, hug the wives; everybody else toss some money in the hat.

Hope life starts treating you better man.
A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people--Thomas Mann,
Nobel Prize winning German Author

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:09 am

Triaxx: It's an AMD Athlon64 x2 6000+... I can get a replacement for $120 or upgrade to the 6400+ for $150... Fargen annoying really...

Hunter: Thanks... I'm trying.. They're near panic at this point over things too, so it's not easy.. :/
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

SickAndWrong
Location: Looking for a nice girl with a rap sheet and a prescription.

Unread postby SickAndWrong » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:46 am

Shrink... So, you now have two dead cars? Any idea of the cause of death on either or both? o_O

I could more than likely either get you reliable wheels cheap or possibly (very iffy) even donate a (ugly but reliable) car given a couple weeks to hunt.

Would a manual transmission be acceptable?

And here is the catch... It would more than likely be in GA. I have a fantastic mechanic on call, but he lives where I'm from. I know it prolly doesn't help you much, but if you want I can put my ear to the ground for you.

As far as cash goes, I get paid again in ten days, and til then.. broke as hell.
_

Triaxx

Unread postby Triaxx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:34 am

http://3btech.net/amdat64x260d.html

Seven dollar's saving's and free shipping.

The only processor I have is in the computer I'm using now and is half the speed.

Shrink908
Site Admin

Unread postby Shrink908 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:39 pm

S&W: Head gasket on both of them, probably cracked heads.. And one of them we had to abandon on the side of the highway where it died, so I don't have it anymore.. The one we have is a 93 Ford Aerostar (with the V6 3.0)... I don't know how I'd get a vehicle here from Georgia.. And a manual is problematic here because of the hills and my lack of experience, as well as Rei's lack of experience, with one..

Triaxx: As for the CPU.. I'd need the $$ to buy it still.. :)
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

SickAndWrong

Unread postby SickAndWrong » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:31 am

Ah, well. My brother has a Pulsar, runs great. It has T-tops that leak and needs a clutch. He is going to sell it for scrap, I know I could talk him out of it. But it's a 6-sp and in GA. Like I said, I figured it wouldn't work out but it's kinda the best I have to offer off-hand.

Now, not to disparage anyone, I don't know if you had these looked at by someone who knows what they're doing or not, but head gaskets / cracked heads are the #1 most mis-diagnosed car problem I think I've ever seen... Head gaskets really aren't that hard to DIY if you have a few tools, but I don't envy you. Aerostars are a bitch to work on...
_

PaganGirl86
Email Address: kittywitch@kpslashhaven.net

Unread postby PaganGirl86 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:29 am

We took the aerostar to a mechanic. He said, including labor and everything else that was wrong with it (plugs, wires, roter, cap, lower radiator hose), we were looking at about $1800 min. And that he didn't feel it was worth the money.
Admin

Triaxx

Unread postby Triaxx » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:19 am

Tell him to shut his ass up, and just give you the estimate for the problem that makes it not run.

SickAndWrong

Unread postby SickAndWrong » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:43 am

plugs, wires, roter, cap, lower radiator hose

Goddamnitalltohell, I could do that for you in an afternoon, and it MIGHT cost you $200. If the wires are expensive. That's all routine stuff.

IF it is a head or head gasket, we can junkyard a whole head for under $100. The gasket and head bolts should run about $30 or so. Get the old head off, get it to a machine shop to check it out, test for cracks and to see if it's warped. $70 a head to plane and rebuild them if they are out of plumb.

But Aerostars are, as I said, a bitch to work on. I'd be happy to do it. If I were closer.

And like I said, I've heard "head gasket" so many times I wanna puke every time someone says that now... Not that I'm calling the guy a liar, I've just seen that so much. Somebody doesn't know what's wrong, they tell you it's a head gasket.

I hate being so far away from people I like...
_

Marco

Unread postby Marco » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:46 am

SickAndWrong wrote:$70 a head to plane and rebuild them if they are out of plumb.

No wonder noone of sane mind tries rebuilding cars in Switzerland and so many do in the US. It's actually affordable over there ;)
The obnoxious ass formerly known as Kokuyo

PaganGirl86
Email Address: kittywitch@kpslashhaven.net

Unread postby PaganGirl86 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:53 am

Triaxx wrote:Tell him to shut his ass up, and just give you the estimate for the problem that makes it not run.

the 1800 WAS the minimum to get it running

SickAndWrong wrote:
plugs, wires, roter, cap, lower radiator hose

Goddamnitalltohell, I could do that for you in an afternoon, and it MIGHT cost you $200. If the wires are expensive. That's all routine stuff.

IF it is a head or head gasket, we can junkyard a whole head for under $100. The gasket and head bolts should run about $30 or so. Get the old head off, get it to a machine shop to check it out, test for cracks and to see if it's warped. $70 a head to plane and rebuild them if they are out of plumb.

But Aerostars are, as I said, a bitch to work on. I'd be happy to do it. If I were closer.

And like I said, I've heard "head gasket" so many times I wanna puke every time someone says that now... Not that I'm calling the guy a liar, I've just seen that so much. Somebody doesn't know what's wrong, they tell you it's a head gasket.

I hate being so far away from people I like...

The Mechanic is bluebonnet's first cousin. We know he's reliable and that /is/ the problem. as for the parts from a junkyard, the labor would still be the same, and it would still cost an arm and a leg..
Admin

hunterrose90210
Email Address: hunterrose90210@yahoo.com

Unread postby hunterrose90210 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:49 am

Is there anyone passing through the GA/TX areas that coudl pick up a car and take it to our fearless sysop? My mind had gone to teh map about pride and the traveling but then i realized it was june '09.
A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people--Thomas Mann,
Nobel Prize winning German Author

SickAndWrong

Unread postby SickAndWrong » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:20 pm

I'd make the trip for the hell of it if I were home, but it's a long swim from here.
_

Return to “Announcements”