Page 2 of 4

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:56 pm
by Love Robin
::hugz::

*he's* not associated with porn. No one knows he is involved. And if his agreement with you did not specify the *content* of your other clients, you can try to say that *you* don't deal with content, only the hosting concerns. You can try telling him that he is a very old client (don't tell him the truth of anything) and you got caught unawares of content yourself but was already locked in (until some future date) *because* content was never specified (same as he did not with you) in contractual agreements.

However he got his domains, such as through GoDaddy, is he concerned with how *other* domains deal with their contents? He is just as "associated" with them

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:10 pm
by Shrink908
Love Robin wrote:::hugz::

*he's* not associated with porn. No one knows he is involved. And if his agreement with you did not specify the *content* of your other clients, you can try to say that *you* don't deal with content, only the hosting concerns. You can try telling him that he is a very old client (don't tell him the truth of anything) and you got caught unawares of content yourself but was already locked in (until some future date) *because* content was never specified (same as he did not with you) in contractual agreements.


I've just told him it's the one site and it was a paying customer so I didn't argue about content. And I've moved on with bringing my customers back to a server here.. Yes, we may have some issues with connections and such, but I do try to deal with shit.. Hopefully I can do the work he wants and get paid enough to survive and keep things online.

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:18 pm
by Love Robin
One issue from this is that *this* thread is somehow overwriting a thread "That which should be in Kim Possible". Clicking on it brings me back to here.

Either the other thread needs a new ID number, or it needs to be deleted/hidden so I can remake it.

Refresh a How to Donate thread. I can promise $10 a month for at least the next coming 12 months. If other regulars can brownbag at least one lunch a month (or pay period and donate what they'd have spent that should be at least $5 per.

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:21 pm
by Ffordesoon
Er, not to be a party pooper, but there's a fair amount of porn on this site too, isn't there? Or at least links to porn... :?

Anyway, thanks for all you do, Shrink. Dunno what I'd do without the Haven.

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:36 pm
by Benzie
Shit, I can do $10 a month. Pretty sure, anyway. Also, seeing as the content on this site isn't public ally viewable, it may not warrant the same level of concern.

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:40 pm
by Shrink908
Well I'm full on fired now.. Partially because of this site... What an asshole. So if anyone knows a work at home job with flexible hours for an IT person, let me know...

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:04 pm
by SapphicVixen
Dude. Not cool. D:

Unfortunately, the only places I could direct you are places I've worked at across the country as either a contractor or in-house employee and they all required on-site work. :\

Maybe you could look for work locally? There's usually a lot more IT jobs available that way, since everyone looks for work at home IT work, but on-site stuff is more in demand.

EDIT: And Shrink, while I'm sure the Haven is the least of your worries with the job thing going on, if you need to, I could host the Haven. I'd need some specs on what this place eats up in bandwidth and storage (especially the no doubt huge database) but I could do it fairly easily. I'd just hate to see this place disappear, if it came down to you having a place to live and paying the internet bill. :\

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:01 pm
by Shrink908
SapphicVixen wrote:Dude. Not cool. D:

Unfortunately, the only places I could direct you are places I've worked at across the country as either a contractor or in-house employee and they all required on-site work. :\

Maybe you could look for work locally? There's usually a lot more IT jobs available that way, since everyone looks for work at home IT work, but on-site stuff is more in demand.

EDIT: And Shrink, while I'm sure the Haven is the least of your worries with the job thing going on, if you need to, I could host the Haven. I'd need some specs on what this place eats up in bandwidth and storage (especially the no doubt huge database) but I could do it fairly easily. I'd just hate to see this place disappear, if it came down to you having a place to live and paying the internet bill. :\


I'll keep the hosting in mind, for sure.. As for on-site.. Arkansas is an IT wasteland.. and I'm disabled enough that on-site just isn't possible for me.. Right now I'm not even driving, relying on a friend to do that.

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:06 pm
by The Supreme One
Shrink908 wrote:
SapphicVixen wrote:Dude. Not cool. D:

Unfortunately, the only places I could direct you are places I've worked at across the country as either a contractor or in-house employee and they all required on-site work. :\

Maybe you could look for work locally? There's usually a lot more IT jobs available that way, since everyone looks for work at home IT work, but on-site stuff is more in demand.

EDIT: And Shrink, while I'm sure the Haven is the least of your worries with the job thing going on, if you need to, I could host the Haven. I'd need some specs on what this place eats up in bandwidth and storage (especially the no doubt huge database) but I could do it fairly easily. I'd just hate to see this place disappear, if it came down to you having a place to live and paying the internet bill. :\


I'll keep the hosting in mind, for sure.. As for on-site.. Arkansas is an IT wasteland.. and I'm disabled enough that on-site just isn't possible for me.. Right now I'm not even driving, relying on a friend to do that.


ah. When you tell them you can only work from home and they say they need you on site, run a variant of the following. "Are you attempting to prevent me from employment due to my disability?" (technically, they aren't, but it will probably shake them up because they won't be sure of that)

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:09 am
by Aulipheron
edited

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:30 pm
by Shrink908
The Supreme One wrote:
Shrink908 wrote:
SapphicVixen wrote:Dude. Not cool. D:

Unfortunately, the only places I could direct you are places I've worked at across the country as either a contractor or in-house employee and they all required on-site work. :\

Maybe you could look for work locally? There's usually a lot more IT jobs available that way, since everyone looks for work at home IT work, but on-site stuff is more in demand.

EDIT: And Shrink, while I'm sure the Haven is the least of your worries with the job thing going on, if you need to, I could host the Haven. I'd need some specs on what this place eats up in bandwidth and storage (especially the no doubt huge database) but I could do it fairly easily. I'd just hate to see this place disappear, if it came down to you having a place to live and paying the internet bill. :\


I'll keep the hosting in mind, for sure.. As for on-site.. Arkansas is an IT wasteland.. and I'm disabled enough that on-site just isn't possible for me.. Right now I'm not even driving, relying on a friend to do that.


ah. When you tell them you can only work from home and they say they need you on site, run a variant of the following. "Are you attempting to prevent me from employment due to my disability?" (technically, they aren't, but it will probably shake them up because they won't be sure of that)


Interesting idea...

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:58 am
by Aulipheron
Shrink,

How much of your disability is directly work related, such as stress, etc? Can an understanding, sympathetic primary care
physician certify this so that you would qualify, at least in part, for disability rewards (SSI, SSDI, and so forth)?

I am just throwing preliminary ideas about to see is they could provide a possible avenue toward a source of income.

Cheers!

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:35 am
by Shrink908
Aulipheron wrote:Shrink,

How much of your disability is directly work related, such as stress, etc? Can an understanding, sympathetic primary care
physician certify this so that you would qualify, at least in part, for disability rewards (SSI, SSDI, and so forth)?

I am just throwing preliminary ideas about to see is they could provide a possible avenue toward a source of income.

Cheers!


I qualify for disability/etc due to kidney disease anyway.. I have "End Stage Kidney Disease" and require dialysis 3 times a week.

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:21 pm
by SapphicVixen
Regardless of anything else, you qualify for unemployment benefits as well since you've been fired and didn't quit of your own volition. Get on that and apply and you'll have a bit of extra income coming in.

As well, you can apply for whatever food stamp program is in your area, which can be as much as 200 dollars a month in groceries usually. But unemployment will tide you over until you get new work.

Re: Downtime for move!

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:26 pm
by Shrink908
SapphicVixen wrote:Regardless of anything else, you qualify for unemployment benefits as well since you've been fired and didn't quit of your own volition. Get on that and apply and you'll have a bit of extra income coming in.

As well, you can apply for whatever food stamp program is in your area, which can be as much as 200 dollars a month in groceries usually. But unemployment will tide you over until you get new work.


I plan on getting on the unemployment application and all this week.. Problem being I have a rent payment due on the 15th and only have $200 out of $365 of it on hand and no source for the rest. I also may >never< work again due to medical issues so I'm going to apply for disability too.. What I'm trying to sort out is how to cover the bills until the unemployment/whatever kicks in...