Slowdowns

Report bugs and other issues with the forum here.
Shrink908
Site Admin
Email Address: shrink908@ndos.net

Re: Slowdowns

Unread postby Shrink908 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:28 pm

Luke Danger wrote:Sometimes the board slows down when I'm typing out a post, like when I was typing out my large post yesterday for the Fanfic pet peeves, but it got back to normal after. I figured it was just normal traffic overload or something and didn't think much of it, but I'll report it here just in case.

This is a function of the fact that the server handles more than just the Haven.. Even with the machine I've got running things there's limits to what it's able to do at once.. Though if it's slowing down while you're >typing<.. That part takes place on your machine, as it just loads the editor java to your browser.. So that would be your machine's fault.. The slowdown I've noticed is when you click post it takes a bit to write and >that< is due to the sheer size of the KP/ database.. It's rather large, using just under 550MB worth of data storage on the MySQL.. The only way to speed that part up, without building a dedicated DB server machine (which I can't afford to do), would be to purge some of the old data, and every time I've suggested that I get told no.. It will continue to get slower over time too, btw.
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Eoraptor
Pillar of the Haven
Beta?: Maybe, but I go for the throat
Email Address: you can have my email address when you pry it from my cold, lifeless fingers!!!

Unread postby Eoraptor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Surely you could check and make sure the old games threads are getting deleted. It's not much, but every little bit helps says the old lady as she peed in the sea.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor
Howard Tayler wrote:Never forget... when a social media site is free (Facebook), you're not the customer, you're the product

SickandWrong wrote:...like High Definition for fanfics.

Shrink908
Site Admin
Email Address: shrink908@ndos.net

Unread postby Shrink908 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Eoraptor wrote:Surely you could check and make sure the old games threads are getting deleted. It's not much, but every little bit helps says the old lady as she peed in the sea.

Games threads?
The Shrink
KP/ Server Administrator
tech@kpslashhaven.net

Harberst

Unread postby Harberst » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:08 pm

In the "fun stuff" subforum. The old closed up Last Person to Post threads, misc. games that didn't really get off the ground, that stuff. In that same vein I'd think pruning some stuff from the general off topic area would be fine. I think most people were just freaking out over the idea of losing story/critique/challenge threads.
Anyone who can worship a trinity and insist that his religion is a monotheism can believe anything... just give him time to rationalize it. [Robert A. Heinlein, JOB: A Comedy of Justice]

Eoraptor
Pillar of the Haven
Beta?: Maybe, but I go for the throat
Email Address: you can have my email address when you pry it from my cold, lifeless fingers!!!

Unread postby Eoraptor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:33 pm

yes sorry, meant Fun Stuff threads. Also old Leave of Absence posts could go too. as well as old donation threads perhasps.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor
Howard Tayler wrote:Never forget... when a social media site is free (Facebook), you're not the customer, you're the product

SickandWrong wrote:...like High Definition for fanfics.

Return to “Administration Issues”